Monday, May 01, 2006

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houghton College is going to have its first woman President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, baby, that's right, Karl Eastlack just announced it in Chapel today, that Dr. Shirley Mullen has reconsidered and accepted the position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (There simply aren't enough exclamation marks for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) You should have heard the thunderous applause and the cheering...I don't think any other candidate could have even come close to the amount of support she had.

It's so unbelievably exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief! What a victory! In fact, I danced a little jig and gave many high-fives and am still wearing a big grin on my face because of it all, and I think that will still be true for several days. Yes, the feminist in me is overjoyed because she's a woman, and we need more women in leadership at this school and in the Church. Because in a community where, although many verbally preach egalitarianism (with some criticism), the actual practice is for some reason frowned upon (or at least kept under wraps so as not to make people think we are too liberal), we will now have a woman in the seat of highest honour and responsibility. With overwhelming support. Yes, the feminist in me is overjoyed and thrilled and delighted! But I'm also excited because, regardless of gender, I think she was the most qualified, the most capable candidate, and the one with the best and clearest vision, accompanied by the most open-mindedness and listening ears.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! :)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

WAHOOO!!!!!

That's pheNOMenal!!

Love you, Bexx! And I'll see you soon--when's a good time to call??

t4stywh34t said...

Hey, that's good to hear. Anyone's better than Wayne MacBeth!

tskd said...

You aren't allowed to pull an April Fools joke on May Day are you??!

this is taking a while to sink in...wOW! I cannot WAIT to see how things will change! Houghton...podunk Houghton?! WOW! (And we still can't dance...) :)

THat's Fantastic Bexx! Thanks so much for the news!

Ben said...

I hope your right. I'm all about getting a female president - my vote was for Darlene Bressler. I just lack any ammount of confidence in the trustees and Karl Eastlack. Especially in light of the Beach situation.

I'm stoked that she's a woman and I hope she really is awesome.

Ben Bacheller said...

Really? Wow, can't believe it! Hope things go better w/ this lady than with Dr. Chamberlain's leadership...

Anonymous said...

awesomeness!

Whitfield said...

WAHOOOII!! the feminist in me is rejoicing with the feminist in you!!! grins and i also her from dad gallman and rebecca loaiza that she is amazingly qualified!! HURRAY!!!

love you becca!!!