Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Merry Christmas? Oh, no, it was Easter...

Looking outside, though, we here in Western New York might as well have been celebrating Christmas this weekend, though. It was SNOWING! On EASTER! (A week ago it was 78 degrees and sunny...this week, it's 30 degrees and snowing. It's April, for goodness' sake! Go figure...)

All those poor flowers that were starting to poke their heads out are now frozen to death...
And I, who had put away my winter coat and started wearing sandals, have fished out my mittens again and begrudgingly put my flip-flops back in the closet for now. Sigh...

I guess this is yet another lesson in waiting. And how appropriate that it comes at Easter, when we celebrate Christ's death & resurrection and how He makes all things new...but often in our lives it's in a way that looks completely different than what we expect or would prefer! Not in leaps and bounds, or even a steady and continual line, but in seasons. Death gives way to life, winter gives way to spring.

3 comments:

Foolish Thing Nine said...

I hate the crazy weather. We got back from tour and there was snow and I thought I was going to cry.

I enjoy the thought that we don't often think, that in order for God to make all things new we must first have something OLD and worn out and maybe even useless for Him to make it new. Being in that stage right now, I don't like to say it, but I think it's true.

Ben said...

I went to a Reds game on holy thursday and it was snowing. I couldn't believe that I was sitting in a major league ballpark in the snow. It sure didn't seem like baseball season either.

Whitfield said...

Seeds are that way too... The seed itself has to die before the shoot can be born, and then the shoot uses the nutrients within the seed to sustain its first growth.