Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sometimes, I talk too much...and am so focused on making sure I say everything I want to say that I don't stop to think about whether or not what I'm saying is actually helpful to the person on the other end of the conversation. Sometimes, I forget to listen...to really listen to what's going on in people's hearts and lives, not so that while listening I can be thinking up the perfect response or solution, but simply so that in listening my heart may embrace them more completely, and love them more completely. Without an agenda.

And, sadly enough, I find that I do the same thing with God on a fairly regular basis. I rattle off my concerns, my frustrations, my problems, and even my joys, and then I say "Phew! Thanks for listening, Lord! I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest. Well, talk to You later!" Then I go about my day, and I forget to listen for His voice unless I'm in a bind, unless I'm lonely and need comfort, or I've fallen flat on my face and I need to be picked back up again. When in reality what I need is to be continually attentive to His voice, so that reliance on Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are worked into the very fabric of my daily existence, so that I don't have to run to Him when something comes up because I've been walking close beside Him all along. Open my ears, Lord, teach me to listen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca,
Tal mãe, tal filha. Pois é.
We are all still learning to listen!
It is good to hear and see a bit of your heart here. There is a presépio in our Christmas stuff. You know you are welcome to anything there.
Temos saudades de você.
Abraços, com MUITO amor,
Mamãe

Anonymous said...

Man, Bexx... those words ring so true with me. I know I need to talk less and listen more. "Pray continually" needs to be followed with "listen continually." So thanks for the reminder!