Thursday, December 08, 2005

Today, I officially feel (almost) like a grown-up.

I set up and decorated my very own Christmas tree for the very first time last night! (With Sarah, of course.)

And to top it all off I also changed my very own burnt-out headlight on my very own car. Without instructions or an owner's manual. Just my hands and a flashlight and the analytical, problem-solving brain God gave me, tinkering under the hood of my car until the old bulb was out and the new bulb was in and the wires were all re-connected. So I'm no longer a p'diddle. And I still have some black grime under my fingernails from the whole venture, but it is a very fulfilling kind of dirty. Like the satisfying soreness in your legs after a long run, or the satisfying tingling in your fingers & toes as you thaw out over a mug of hot chocolate inside a warm house after shoveling a foot of snow off the driveway. Here's to having two functional headlights again! Booyah!

(Oh, the reason I added in the "almost" in the first sentence of this post is because I still sleep with 3 teddy bears. I don't think that qualifies me to be fully grown-up yet...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 55 and I still sleep with a teddy bear. I call my wife my teddy bear!

tskd said...

Well shoot, I won't be a grown-up until blankie disintegrates on its own premonitions then. :)

KJBLS said...

remember that story of michelle's friend's teddy bear getting locked in the closet...?

tskd said...

hahah! oh yeah, i'd forgotten!! but dear kat, that was mrs. doty. whom you stayed with. :)

Whitfield said...

Well, count me out for adulthood... I still sleep with a puppy (named Puppy) the size of a small pillow wearing a very worn pink t-shirt (that I used to wear as a very small child) that has 3 little horses galloping across it. May adulthood come to me ever-so-slowly. :)