Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ah, the silence of an empty office...

I feel so much more relaxed working in a quiet office, rather than being surrounded by the hustle & bustle of constant commotion that makes me feel like I should be working faster and harder, and makes me feel more stressed out.

But since nobody else is around, I can spend the morning listening to my latest online find: the Audio Bible. It's an excellent resource! Then there's always countless audio sermons online, and especially close to my heart are those from All Souls Church in London - John Stott's church, where I attended for an unforgettable semester of my life. (Currently listening to an excellent message by Hugh Palmer, the All Souls rector, on Philippians 2 - "The Way to Up is Down.") Ah, it feels good to have my soul nourished by the Living Word of God as I work! There's something about listening to Scripture that is very different from reading it, very refreshing in fact - hmmm...almost as though that is how they were meant to be "ingested"...spoken by someone else, so there is a voice giving them life, dimension, depth, vibrance, and so that by involving a speaker and a listener they are inherently shared. Hmmm...that's interesting...I'll need to think about that for a while...

No comments: