Friday, October 20, 2006

I'm all for adoption, but...

As much as I think that adopting kids is a wonderful, beautiful, and very necessary thing, I'm not really sure it's for everyone. Especially when you're talking about cross-cultural and cross-racial adoption.

For example, I was browsing through the BBC news website, and found a very interesting article, reporting that Madonna and Guy Ritchie have started the adoption process for a 1-year-old boy from Malawi named David. Wha...? It's pretty confusing, because Malawi has bans on adoption by foreigners, and David is actually living with his father, not in an orphanage (although his mother did die from complications from his birth). So if you feel that strongly about adopting a child from a developing country, why this particular one, from this particular country? I'm so confused...

Did I miss something? When did the Material Girl become a humanitarian?

No comments: