Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Feliz Dia Internacional da Mulher!

Last year, on International Women's Day, I was talking to someone who was (half-jokingly) indignant about the fact that there's a Women's Day, but no Men's Day. At which point, said person (who happened to be a man) was not-so-gently reminded by every woman in the room that EVERY day of the year is Men's Day. For example, we celebrate national holidays on the birthdays of important people in our history, such as Presidents, and ALL of them are men! Since we haven't had any women as President, I guess I can't complain too much on that count... But we also have Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, to celebrate his contribution to the civil rights movement - so why don't we also have a day celebrating the contributions to the women's rights movement? I mean, would it be that unreasonable to have Elizabeth Cady Stanton Day, or Susan B. Anthony Day? :) (This is just me getting on my soapbox...hehehe...)

Anyways, for all you women out there, happy Women's Day! And for all you wonderful women in my life - Amy, Katrina, Rachel, Michelle, Tegan, Carina, Deanna, Cherith, Amy Rogers, Mom, Grandma, Laura, Karen, Aunt Cindy, Aunt Susan, Christine, Aunt Jodi, Jillian...and so many more - I am so thankful for you, so blessed by you! I am a better woman because of you. Here's to you!

A man is a great thing upon the earth, and through eternity--but
every jot of the greatness of man is unfolded out of woman,
First the man is shaped in the woman, he can then be shaped in
himself.

Walt Whitman :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca!!
I love you, and you are defintely one of my women heroes! and I love your dialogue with Sam over Lent...I love my verbal friends.
Amy

Whitfield said...

becca,
grins
i actually forgot about women's day until i got home and looked over at my calendar where i had started and highlighted it. ;) and said to myself CRAP... i missed it. BUT the day was not yet over, and so i sat thinking about what i could do. i couldn't just let it go by. and so i decided to blog in pictures. and since most of the women (and men) that read my blog are in your timezone, and thought that if they happened to check my blog today, and had forgotten about international women's day, it would be a beautiful (in pictures) reminder. and it also gave me a chance to marvel at the beauty that God has created in us all over the world. except i forgot one thing... :) a picture of you girls (and all of the other women who have had such an impact on my life). grins and you, becca, have been such an encouragement to me as a woman. when i look at you, i see a woman after God's own heart, and i praise and glory to the God we both love and follow and serve.
i love you sooo much! mpwah!
rachel

tskd said...

Hm. I'm glad you're smarter than me Bexx. I read Rachel's blog and was like "crap, I must have missed it yesterday." Wow. My brain is going down the highway!

t4stywh34t said...

1) You forgot to mention my amazing wife.
2) Stanton and Anthony don't have holidays because if they did, the usual less-than-Easter-Christmas-and-Halloween festivites associated with other holidays, such as President's Day, would ensue, going rather against their heart-felt motives...such as clothing sales at Sears. So I think maybe the proponents of said feminists are a bit wiser by allowing only the truly devoted celebrate their accomplishments.