Monday, March 06, 2006

I just couldn't resist...

Most of you probably know that I need very little incentive to talk, or write, or even think, extensively on any issue. And for that reason, in response to Sam's comment on my last post, I will gladly offer more of my thoughts on Lent and sacrifice! :) Thanks, Sam, for your thoughts. And for your invitation to dialogue...be careful! You just might get what you asked for! (*grins*)

Part of me, like you, cringes at seeing Lenten vows become more like New Year's resolutions than sacrifices pleasing to a Holy God. I don't want this season to be my excuse to get rid of all the excesses I'm not motivated enough to get rid of during the rest of the year! That's like all the times I've arrived at church forgetting it's Communion Sunday, then upon seeing the bread & wine on the table at the front of the sanctuary, spending the first part of the service madly sorting through my heart in search for all the sins I may not have confessed so that I can partake without the weight of a guilty conscience. (And I have a feeling I'm not the only one who's ever done that before...) The "binging and purging" mentality so many people have of Christianity turns my stomach, and it makes me even more disgusted when I turn around the magnifying glass and see it in my own self. (And I'm afraid I see it in myself more often than I'd care to admit...) I don't want to use Christ's sacrifice as a salve for my guilty conscience - the Word did not become flesh in order to make me feel better about my life, but to draw all people to the Father, as a thief to steal the hearts of men and women and even children. To build a Kingdom on grace and love. To show us just how holy God created us to be, how devastatingly we all fall short, and then turn around and pave the way for us to be made holy through His own blood and His Spirit.

A love that is based on sacrifice is somewhat foreign to this world - or at least partly. We're OK when someone sacrifices out of love for us. But when we're called to sacrifice, that's quite another story! And yet when I think about sacrifice in the Christian life, I can't help but come up with two different kinds of sacrifice. One is the sacrifice of the "old self", the getting rid of things that are truly hindrances, the sifting and pulling and burning away the things that are unpleasing to God. This is a very necessary sacrifice, one we are called to make as followers of Christ! But this is not where it ends. We aren't only called to sacrifice the things we'd be glad to get rid of. We are also called to sacrifice good things - the best things, as you so well pointed out, things that we love and hold dear. This is the truest of all truths! The cost of discipleship is high, and it requires ALL of us, not just part; the surrendering of ALL things for the sake of gaining Christ. It involves being led where we may not want to go, as Jesus told Peter. And, for Lent, I think it is particularly significant that we give up something we enjoy.

Honestly, one of the main reasons I am giving up caffeinated beverages is because I enjoy them. A lot! I mean, I love chocolate, but I honestly don't eat it very often (maybe once a week, if I'm lucky), so it would feel kind of small to give up something I already mostly do without, anyways. Coffee, on the other hand, I drink every day, more than once. And while I have been realizing, now that I've stopped consuming caffeine, that I rely on it a lot more than I thought (as evidenced by my much-more-frequent yawning throughout the day...), I mostly just miss the taste of coffee, the feel of the warm mug in my hand while I'm answering the phone here at work, the comfortable part it has in my daily routine. Which is why I'm not even drinking decaf coffee during Lent. The awareness of my dependence on caffeine has certainly been eye-opening, and it is helping me learn what my limitations really are, (how much sleep I really need! hehehe...) but the primary purpose of my fast is not to get rid of something in my life that I see as being bad. It is because I live a fairly simple life, and there are very few things in which I take pleasure that are not crucial to my existence, my sanity, and my emotional/spiritual well-being at this point in time. I don't think that giving up any kind of food would be healthy for me right now, because I've been having a hard enough time eating healthily recently due to a lot of emotional stress. Other things I really enjoy? People - definitely can't give up people. :) Reading - I live alone, so if I gave up reading, I'd be stuck alone with my thoughts for far more time than I already do, and with where I'm at right now, that wouldn't be healthy, either. Music - I'd thought about it, but then again, I live alone, and music is one of the key ways in which I worship, in which I keep my focus on God instead of getting trapped in my own mind, thinking about things that would be best left alone. I gave up coffee so that, in missing something that I truly enjoy, which is part of my routine every day, I will have a reminder, whenever I crave it or miss it, that I need Christ in my routine that much more. And not just as another part of my routine, but permeating every single part of my routine. That, in the end, is the point of any sacrifice, I think - not the thing that is given up per se, but rather the space that is created in our hearts and lives for God to fill us more fully. Is that not what the Psalmist says? "'I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills'...You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." He doesn't want the things that I give up for Him. He doesn't need those things. He wants the ME, the YOU, that can be more fully His when we give up those things. When we sacrifice the bad habits AND the good things, to create more room in our lives for Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to work and make us anew day by day.

Holy Spirit, come restore, renew! That is my Lenten prayer - only a magnification of what I long to be my prayer every day - "Lord, I lay all of me down as a sacrifice to You today. Take whatever pieces of me You need to take. Only give me Your love, Yourself, in return. Use me as You see fit." As Dan Holcomb put it so well, perhaps after a lifetime of Ash Wednesdays and Lenten seasons, that prayer will become ingrained in the whole of my life.

So there you have it, Sam - those are some of my thoughts, although I'm sure I could go on for a lot longer... :)

4 comments:

Whitfield said...

becca... thank you (and sam) for sharing your thoughts and your heart, what the Spirit is teaching and showing you... and in so doing, is teaching and showing me. One of my desires for this lent is for it to be more purposeful in my life, more alive, more moving as the Spirit moves through this discipline... moves in where I have given him space to move as he's called me and is calling me - and not only just that space, but ALL of me... I think lent is also symbolic of what Christ wants of our life and walk with him. He doesn't just want a piece of who we are, he wants our self in its entirety... I have a lot more thoughts that are hopping and skipping around in my head... and I need to sit down and sort them out. They're a jumbled mess. And I'm rambling. but I just wanted to say thanks.
And i love you. :)

Anonymous said...

hah! took the bait.. [grin]

very well put. although, it is becoming quite clear to me at least, that most of the difference in our thoughts lies more on the fact that we use different words for the same thing, or word things differently, but i think the heart is the same. semantics, is it? sorry, english is not my first language, and i apologize for the structure and coherence of my thoughts.
one of the differences that i see is that repentance and sanctification and sacrifice are distinct concepts, at least as how i have come to understand them, and you seem to apply the concepts interchangeably (or am i reading you wrong?), so i got confused. i know in the grand scheme of things the choice of words doesn't really matter, it's the heart that matters, so i guess this is a moot point. gah, sorry, i am talking to you as much as to myself.
each word (sanctification, repentance, sacrifice) denotes a certain perception in my brain, and automatically makes an association of the word to any example of the definition of the word. and the meaning of each word (therefore the word itself) elicits different reactions in me.
honestly, i am not type-A! i do not need to classify or compartmentalize things into neat little categories! it's just that.. i blame it on years of computer programming! [grin]
okay, back to what you wrote.. you're right, he doesn't need the things we sacrifice, no matter how good, it's only good because he himself makes them good, and it's all his in the first place. he doesn't need us, and my old question to that then was what's the point in all these then? but if you really start to think and pray and listen and dwell on the Word then you'll realize how humbling it is that this Holy and infinite God and creator of all things desires to have a relationship with us, he desires our heart. if we truly love God more than anything else we cannot help but give him the best. but the bible also says that nothing good comes out of man, so on our own we really cannot offer anything of value to him. and it's so hard and painful yet beautiful that because of this brokeness that true righteousness is possible for us, because of Christ filling us, sanctifying us and redeeming us. because of Christ's righteousness and the realization of our own brokeness, we can offer ourselves as a living sacrifice to God. and to him be the glory!
so i have just rambled along here practically saying the same thing as you have. except for one thing. i would like to extend what you have said regarding the point of sacrifice, that it is not only so Jesus can fill us, but ultimately to glorify God. anything short of that comes the Cain syndrome again.
part of the reason why i am currently so passionate about this is that the school here in thailand is having a prayer and fasting month, where everyday someone is fasting and praying for the school. a lot of the kids don't really understand the fasting part, so there has been lots of discussion going on between some of the faculty members and staff regarding the subject and on how to best explain it to the kids when we ourselves have different opinions about it.
so there. you're not the only one capable of long comments. [grin]

rebequinha said...

Of COURSE I took the bait! :) And I know what you mean about semantics - I love words, but sometimes I am much too much of a word perfectionist, and making sure I have all the right words to convey my meaning sometimes gives me a headache...I hate semantics! :) Because of that, I must say that I, too, see repentance and sanctification as two very distinct and different things, in concept and in practice. And yet they are also somehow inextricably linked in this thing we call discipleship - repentance makes sanctification possible, and neither one could exist without the other. (Amazing, huh?) And underlying both of them is the common thread of sacrifice, of surrender, of giving of oneself so that God can be glorified in our lives. It's a point well-taken that, regardless of what we call it, sacrifice, repentance, are all worthless if we do them for what we can get out of them. If I sacrifice only so that in turn God will give to me, I have missed the point entirely! That in all things, it isn't so much WHAT we do, but HOW we do it, whether we do things as an act of worship and gratitude and love to a Holy and Loving God. Golly, the thought of making all things worship and prayer is really intimidating! And yet how refreshing to know that, as you said, the offerings which are pleasing to God are acceptable not because of my strivings, but because God Himself makes them acceptable, gives us the ability to bring Him glory! Truly amazing. "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God - for that is what we are!"

And I still feel like I, too, have so much more to learn about the meaning of and reasons for fasting...

Michelle said...

you, my friend, are wonderful. thank you for your thoughts and for the long phone conversation--it was exactly what i needed!