Monday, January 16, 2006

Do you ever get that feeling when you wake up in the morning that you don't want it to be morning yet, but you know that you won't be able to get back to sleep again even if you tried? Well, I was in that state this morning. I didn't want to get up, but I knew that staying in bed would be pointless. Then I rolled over to face the window and I noticed tiny shafts of pink seeping through the cracks between my blinds.

So in a stroke of boldness, I gathered up my courage, threw off the covers, and yanked up the blinds, to find one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen. Bright red across the whole horizon, blending into fiery oranges and softer yellows, against a purple-grey background - simply breathtaking!

The thing about sunrises is that, if you sit and watch them, the changes in colour and brightness are so gradual that you don't really notice them happening. But when you turn your back on it for even a few seconds, then turn to it again, the amount of change in those few seconds can be astounding! (I was thinking of using this as a springboard for some sort of profound illustration, but now I can't think of any...)

In any case, that spectacular sunrise was a great way to start off the week! I think it may make me smile all day. :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love beautiful sunrises! Yesterday when I had to get up early to go help out at the marathon I looked out my window and the sunrise was absolutely breathtaking. It made me so happy. Then I went outside and smelled the early morning air and said to myself, "I love mornings! I should get up early every day!!"

This morning I didn't have class so I slept until 9:00.