Tuesday, January 10, 2006

WOOHOO!!!!!


My friend Karis, who went to school with me since 2nd grade, is getting a transplant today!!!!!!!! After a failed intestinal transplant over a year ago that put her into a coma for several months, and being in and out of the hospital for the past year, she finally got a phone call last night saying that they have new organs for her! I think this time she's getting new intestines, liver, and maybe even a pancreas. Amazing what technology can do these days...

For those of you who don't know her or haven't heard about her from me, Karis has been sick her whole life, but her testimony, and that of her family, is simply astounding. They have brought light and love to so many hospital wards, and to many people outside hospitals with whom they get a chance to interact. They have experienced the sustaining grace of God in sickness and health, in want and in plenty, and they will eagerly tell anyone who asks them about where their joy comes from in the midst of pain. Prayers are going up around the world right now, that the surgery would go well, and that the organs would take this time.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wowzer bowzer! That's wonderful! I will be praying for her today...and tomorrow...etc.

So, once upon a time I did a google for Texas Women's University. And like I told you the other day (before I found out the name of it) it looks like the best program in the country for you.

Then I found the address and did a mapquest for it. It's 1.78 miles from my apartment!!! Which means that from Rice I can easily walk to it...which also means that we could find an apartment that would result in virtually no commute for either of us.

And, there's no application deadline--they keep accepting applications...so you haven't missed anything yet.

Can you see me jumping up and down on the bed with excitement??

Okay, so I won't coerce you (although I'm considering doing some research into some mind-altering devices or some sort of subconscious tape to play while you're asleep...perhaps hypnosis would be my best option).

Really and truly, I want you to pray (and I'll pray for you!) and consider all your options and do what's best for you. But if you do decide to come down here, you will have a ready-made roommate who will be jumping off the walls in anticipation of the wonderful blessing that would be getting to live with you!!

I love you muchly Bexx and I'm praying for you--I'll try and give you a call this evening--I'm free all evening, so if you give me a call I'll be around.

Whitfield said...

I'm praying, Becca!!

And I just talked to Michelle tonight (her morning) and she told me how close you could be to her if it works out with you going to TWU... and then I thought... if it works out for me to go to Florida next year... THAT'S not so far away from Texas! And maybe, JUST MAYBE, we could meet in the middle... or I could take a roadtrip to Texas, or you 2 could take a roadtrip to Florida! And wouldn't that be grande! so... should all of these things come to be... grins What fun we shall have!
And as you (and Michelle, and many others grins) continue to pray about TWU, I (and you and Michelle and many others) will continue to pray about this agricultural internship with ECHO. But I can't express my excitement about this, Becca... I'm SO excited to have found this!
i love you much! and get on skype sometime (if you can) so we can chatt-le dee doodle. (don't know where that came from... i think the wowzer bowzer inspired me) hehe

love
rachel