Monday, January 23, 2006

I feel like Peter.

You know, Simon Peter, after he had denied Jesus and the rooster crowed and he wept. Well, I have been having a dialogue with God similar to that one that Jesus had with Peter by the Sea of Galilee, after He came back from the dead, after He made his disciples catch amazing boatloads of fish once again like he had before. The dialogue in which Jesus asks, "Peter, do you truly love me more than these?", and then again, "Peter, do you truly love me?", and then the third time, that really hurt, "Peter, do you love me?" "Yes, Lord, You know I love you." "Then feed my sheep...Follow me."

My dialogue was not by a sea after fishing, but in my car, on my way home from watching The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe with Kat, Paul, Sean, Amy, and Jeff Brown. And I was remembering how Lucy was always the one to see the right way, Aslan's way, even when others called it nonsense. Like going back to Narnia, or trusting the Beavers. Like in Prince Caspian when she decided she would follow Aslan down the cliffs and up the other side of the gorge even if she had to do it alone, though the others couldn't see him. Or countless other times when she was the only one who saw Him or understood what was going on. I was crying out to God because I wanted to see, I wanted to understand, but I didn't. I was begging Him to show me what He was doing that I couldn't see yet, and as the tears blurred my eyes so I could hardly see the road anymore, I heard Him say those words He said to Peter that day, "Do you love me?" "Yes, Lord. Beyond a shadow of a doubt."

Then, gently, a different question: "Then do you trust me?"
Tentatively: "Yes...But..."
"Do you trust me?"
"Yes...But..."
The third time, the one that hurt: "DO YOU TRUST ME?"
(Long pause...I grip the steering wheel tighter...take a deep breath...let out a long sigh...) "Yes."

Ouch. You got me.

"Then follow Me."

And I know that I can do nothing else. There are no other options that even come close.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca,
We love you and are praying for you. We are with you in this, and feel your pain. I want to come and try and make it all better, but my coming won~t make it all better.
Our Heavenly Father loves you sooo much, and He has promised to NEVER leave you or forsake you. That makes me cry, too.
Keep feeling, even though it hurts. May the Comforter, the Rock, the Lion, the One who is closer than a brother, Our Redeemer, guide, protect and be your joy and praise.
The future belongs to HIM.
With love and tears,
Mamãe e Papai

Whitfield said...

beautiful Becca (inside and out),
i both love those moments and feel incredible pain in them... pain at knowing that i've fallen short again, something i continually do. love them because the Lord is demonstrating his love for me by openning up my eyes to my shortcomings, saying to me i love you, and repeating yet again 'FOLLOW ME' 'TRUST ME'... something i know he will continue doing until he has completed his work in me when i join the saints with Christ. i love you my dear becca...
rach