Friday, January 13, 2006

I want to help!

If faith is being sure of what we hope for,
Certain of what we do not see,
How does one convey certainty?
Because I am certain.
But I don't know how I came to be certain.
How does one explain
Joy in the midst of pain,
Peace in the midst of trouble,
Life in the midst of death,
A Love that knows no bounds?
I can't convince anyone of these things
With words strung together.
But neither can I manufacture
The experiences by which certainty comes,
And so I sit by and wait.

It feels so small, so passive,
This waiting and watching while You work,
When all I can do is pray!
I want to help!
But I know that what is needed is deeper than words,
The way that is blazed by the Spirit
Through the hard grind of life,
The way of experience, of One who has seen and heard and felt it all,
The way paved with the blood from Your side
When You cried, “It is finished!”
Because only You can finish it.
You have let me help for a little while,
But now it is beyond my reach.
Beyond the reach of words or actions or reason.
For certainty has to be learned and seen and experienced,
Without intermediates,
The glaring beauty of Your holiness,
The merciful scalpel of Your love.
Straight from the source.
Pure, unadulterated, devastating Goodness,
That peels back and lays bare
And pulls out the cancer that is eating us up
From the inside out.
So we can heal.
So we can learn how much taller and straighter we can walk
Without carrying around this unnecessary weight.
We have no idea how much You sustain us.
You work even when we are sleeping.
The sun rises & sets at a word from Your mouth.
You do not need our help.
So thank You for letting me help sometimes. Even just a little bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Becca, for those words of truth and wisdom. I really needed to hear that today. Seeing your joy in the midst of pain is such an encouragement to me. I love you! Keep healing and pressing on! :)

Whitfield said...

becca...
thanks. truly. sometimes i have a hard time expressing my thoughts, my feelings, my heart, a feeling in words... and every once in a while i find someone who says just what it is that i couldn't quite put words to... and i stand in wonder and awe at the way God creates and shapes each one of so very differently... and i give thanks, because without all those wonderful creations of his i would be blind and mute and deaf and paralyzed... and my eyes fill with tears at the realization that he didn't have to. he didn't have to create us, he doesn't have to use us, he didn't have to die for us. he chose to. he loved us, loves us. and he lets us help him a little. :)
i love you becca.
rachel

Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» »