Thursday, January 05, 2006

I'm an incurable bookworm...

Lately, I have been having a hard time putting my thoughts & feelings into words. Do you ever feel that way? They seem to float and flit about in my head and in my heart like vapors, not quite substantial enough to be grasped onto but still undeniably there - felt, smelled, tasted, and their nuances affect me. And for someone like me, who processes things best externally, through journalling and conversation and prayer, a lack of words is a real problem. So, in the inability to put my own words to these things, I have pored over pages and pages of other peoples' words, trying to find someone who could flesh out these jumbled wisps, making them somehow a bit more substantial and concrete. And it has been a blessed venture, indeed! To find, in books and blogs and Scripture and sermons and songs, words from others that capture the aching in my own bones, the near-bursting joy mingled with heart-breaking sorrow, the words that I couldn't find for myself. Some of these sources are as follows:

The Jesus I Never Knew, by Philip Yancey
Watch the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas, by various authors
Christianity at the Religious Roundtable, by Timothy Tennent
Job
Psalms
Genesis
The Gospel of Luke
Acts
II Corinthians
In Her Words: Women's Writings in the History of Christian Thought, by Amy Oden
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
The Genesee Diaries, by Henri J.M. Nouwen

Yes, these are all simultaneous...The stack of books next to my bed is huge! I'm almost done with a few of them, though, so...do any of you have any suggestions? :)

(Thank goodness for libraries! That way, I don't have to spend a fortune to feed my habit...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes... The stack of books simultaneously being read.
How about Erwin RAphael McManus. An Unstoppable Force, Uprising, and others.
Eugene Peterson, Richard Foster, Max Lucado.
The RAgamuffin Gospel .
And others.
Keep reading, thinking out loud, and know that when you pray, the Spirit interceeds for you with all the right words!
Amen!
Love you lots,
Mamae

Whitfield said...

I know the feeling all too well. Henri Nouwen (you already have, but he's written so much...), Between Heaven and Earth (compiled and edited by Ken Gire) - a compilation of prayers and writings from countless Christians... from St. Paul to Max Lucado, Psalms to C.S. Lewis, The Book of Common Prayer to Mother Teresa - some may speak, others may not, but it's full of so many times places experiences, joys trials sufferings sorrow...
I love you, Becca, and my heart is with you.
*BIG hug* grins
love
Rachel

Michelle said...

my brain is still somewhat tired from the semester...so while i have been taking teeny forays into the world of books that make me think and actually mean something, the majority of my reading time right now is being spent on john grisham. hopefully my brain will get enough of a a break and i'll be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when classes start up on wednesday. :) i love you, bexx!

Whitfield said...

How's the book hunting going??? Let me know what good ones you find. I'm always adding ones onto my list. My biggest problem is maintaining the hope of ever reading them all. ;) Though I suppose, if you were to have a problem, that's not a very bad one to have. grins
Becca, I love you SO much! And I'm praying for you. How is your heart healing? How is having the Kat and Ames back? I need to write you an email. :)
love you, beautiful!
*big hug*
Rachel