Thursday, April 13, 2006

On this Thursday of bread and wine, of towel and water...

Prepare the way of the Lord, the prophets cried. But even they can’t have been fully prepared for a Saviour who washed the feet of those who would follow in his footsteps, or a God whose star-flinging hands were splintered on a wooden cross.

Bread of heaven – it sticks in the throat. An immeasurable, unquantifiable Creator willingly brought down to Earth like manna and reduced to the status of a metaphor; something to be shared, broken, eaten.

And, in the same way, his very essence distilled into a full-bodied cup of wine, albeit wine for a wedding, the best vintage, saved to the last and drunk at the death.

Take, eat. This is my body.

Take, drink. This is my blood.

Feed on me. And I will turn your world upside down and inside out. Not in the way a genie out of a bottle might do it. Not in the way the rulers of this world do it. Not in the way you may expect.

As Paul wrote to the Corinthians, ‘human strength can’t begin to compete with God’s “weakness”.’ Simple. Foolish. Ungodly?

What a way to go.

~Brian Draper, London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

Just thinking of the bread and wine of which we will partake tonight makes everything catch in my throat. Just thinking of my Lord wrapping a towel around His waist to wash the feet of those who would fall asleep as He prayed, who would deny they knew Him, who would betray His trust, I weep, because I know that that is me. That I would be like Peter and say, "Lord, it is I who should be washing Your feet - please, let me take the towel. I am filthy, inside and out. You are the Messiah, the Son of God! It is I who should be on the floor at Your feet." And yet He gently insisted, "This is the full extent of my love. This is how my Kingdom works - you must let me do this for you, let me become your servant, your sustenance, your life." How humble Your love, O God!

No comments: