Monday, April 03, 2006

Life doesn't have to be exciting to be good

A few weeks ago in youth group, we talked about whether or not we can know what we really need, or whether our wants and our needs are so entangled that we don't know which is which, and we have no way of knowing what is ultimately best for ourselves, but only God does. As part of the exercise, we took a sort of genie-in-the-lamp quiz. Pastor Don made a list of about 20 things, and then we had each person take 5 minutes to read over and think about the list, then circle the 3 things they would ask God to do for them that they thought would make them truly happy. The options ranged from "having a car" to "if people liked/respected me" and "if my parents/family would just stop fighting all the time." And you know what the most popular option was? "Moving away from Cuba!" [edit: for those of you who, like Tegan, are confused, this is Cuba, NY we're talking about... ;)] It is truly amazing how many of them thought they would find happiness if they could just get out of their rinky-dink old town to a more exciting place! Like New York, or Hawaii, or Hollywood. Or, in some cases, Olean...("Anything is better than Cuba," says Amanda.) "But what makes you think that you'll be happy in New York, Stacy?" "Well, there's so much more to do there, more people...I dunno, it's just more exciting." "OK, I'll give you that...but do you need excitement in order to be happy? What happens when New York gets boring? When you've seen all the sights, shopped in all the stores, gotten tired of the pollution and the traffic jams?" They didn't really know what to do with that. And frankly, sometimes I don't either. But if what I want is always something more than I have now, something different, then I'll be waiting around forever for happiness to fall into my lap, for the perfect conditions, for the next exciting thing because what I have now just isn't as good as I think it could be.

I'm not trying to say that excitement is a bad thing. Sometimes we do need to get away. Sometimes a change of scenery, a change of pace, gives us a kick in the pants, and sometimes that's what we need. But if we continually "need" those kicks in the butt, shouldn't that indicate to us that something is wrong? Do we really need exciting vacations in an exotic tropical paradise to "rekindle" marriages? How about bringing love into everyday life instead of escaping to find it, as though everyday life is somehow bent on destroying romance? And why do we do the same thing with our faith, as though the only time when our relationship with God can really thrive is when we are on a spiritual retreat, or in our spiritual alone time delving into Scripture? I love my daily quiet times, set apart for prayer and reading and worship, but I have found recently that perhaps I idolize them too much. Because if I somehow see those as my only moments of prayer and worship throughout the day, and spend my whole day counting down to those hours, then I have missed all the other hours in which I could have been praying and worshiping as I worked, as I ate lunch, as I answered the phone...Why does the word "routine" always seem to have negative connotations, meaning dreary monotony and drudgery? As though somehow it's a bad thing to allow oneself to "slip into" a routine? Granted, if the pattern becomes thoughtless, stuck in a rut, following a routine simply because that's what you do and have always done, then that quickly becomes complacency, and I flee from that as fast as I can! But if I constantly need to change things in order to avoid the rut, if I need boosts of excitement to keep me interested in anything, if I look forward for my fulfillment, will I ever learn how to be content right here where I am? To pray in the circumstances I've been given? To love the people who are around me instead of looking for more exciting or more respectful or more intellectual people to befriend?

There is something strangely fulfilling about routine. Something extremely good about small, mundane tasks, like vacuuming up dead ladybugs from our living room carpet, or kneading bread dough, or stuffing hundreds of envelopes with support request letters. There is something deeply stabilizing about becoming familiar with Scriptures, with the prayers of the church, to the point where they become ingrained in my very being. I love rolling out of bed and watching the sun rise, starting the day by breathing a prayer of thanksgiving, "Thank You, Lord for this day that you have made! It is good, because You have declared that it is good, and I will rejoice and be glad in it." And I don't have to move somewhere exciting or have a different job to rejoice - there are no conditions. Oh, that someday prayer, communion with God, will be a habit for me! One that will not be easily broken! That prayer would be as natural to me sitting here at my desk at work as it would be in my "prayer closet" or in a church service or laughing over how stupid I look trying to keep up with Cari in DDR. I so desperately want Amanda and Stacy and Cari and Lindsay and Jenn and LeighAnn and Jessica and Crystal to seek the fulfillment they crave in the place where they will find it - in Christ - and not in the constant quest for the next best thing. He IS the best thing - the greatest taste, the richest of fare, the Living Water, the Bread of Life! I want God to bring significance to their everyday lives, not just the times when they feel spiritually excited about Him.

2 comments:

tskd said...

First I read Rachel's blog about Latin America. Then I read your blog about the kids wanting to move away from Cuba. And then i was confused. :)

Whitfield said...

HAHAHA
Actually, my first thought was also "How on earth could our country move away from Cuba??? And why would kids their age even have such hostility towards Cuba??" And then I read on. :) grins
And thanks for sharing from your heart Becca. You have a beautiful beautiful heart... and I am always so uplifted by your words.
much much love,
Rachel