Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A weekend to rest

After a wonderful, phenomenal visit with Uncle Mike and Jeremy on Friday (during which there was muchexchanging of news, reminiscing, laughter, and of course the good 0l' Brazilian hug-and-kiss-on-the-cheek combo), I was ambushed by Katrina and Paul, who were headed off to Paul's house in PA for break. Their mission: to convince me to go with them for the weekend. My "I really shouldn't go" excuse (besides having to pay for gas...): the girls in my youth group would absolutely KILL me if I didn't come to see them perform in Beauty and the Beast on Friday night, after Kat & Paul were leaving. I couldn't miss the play, but I didn't want to have to drive down by myself late at night, paying for all of the gas. But with the promise of a hot tub, home-cooked food, and acres of trees to climb, with a comfortable bed to sleep in at the end of the day, it didn't take them very long to change my mind! I know, I'm a pushover when it comes to hot tubs and food and someone to split gas with...Throw in a little music and some books, and I'm REALLY a pushover! :)

So I went to Beauty and the Beast (which was really well done - the costumes, the sets, the music - probably the best high school drama production I've seen in a long time), and then proceeded to make the drive to Rockton, with Paul Christensen to split the cost of gas and keep me awake. Pulling in at midnight, exhausted and sore, the perfect end to the night was a soak in the Shaffners' hot tub! Wonderful...followed by Saturday, a day of firsts for me: my first time shooting a gun (Paul's own .357 Magnum revolver...it was awesome!!!! Even though I have terrible aim...), my first time buying an article of clothing from Goodwill without trying it on, first time going off-roading through mud and over rocks & logs (in the Shaffners' sweet Jeep, with Paul driving and Kat & I hanging out the back), and my first time seeing a Civil War mortar cannon being fired! Among many, many other incredible things...like apple pancakes for breakfast, and an amazing roast for dinner...like a trip to the library, where they were having a book sale where Kat & I bought 12 books for 90 cents...like the freedom to climb a tree or curl up with a book or take a nap in the middle of the afternoon or do whatever I felt like doing...like talking about The Screwtape Letters in Mr. Shaffner's Sunday school class...In short, it was wonderful. Pictures to come soon! :)

I think my favourite part about this weekend, though, was being blown away by how, with my own parents so far away that I can't run to them when I need a safe place, God has graciously provided me with surrogate families when I need them. Like Uncle Mike, who listened to my rambling because he cares, who offered hugs and prayers and encouragement. Like the Shaffners, who not only opened up their home for a weekend of rest, but also offered me their spare bedroom upstairs if I ever need a place to live or even just to crash for a little while. I left their house at 5:30 Monday morning with tears of gratitude in my eyes, for their generosity, their kindness, their open hearts, wise words, and the love of Christ that they poured out on me this weekend. I didn't realize until after I left how much I had needed that! Thank You, God, for Your body. And thank you, Paul & Kat, for sharing your family with me.

No comments: